Abstract : Practical Python for Astronomers
Category : Recommended Active
Homepage : http://python4astronomers.github.com/
Practical Python for Astronomers is a series of hands-on workshops to explore the Python language and the powerful analysis tools it provides. The emphasis is on using Python to solve real-world problems that astronomers are likely to encounter in research.
The workshops immediately make use of the full suite of plotting, analysis, and file reading tools. Along the way elements of the Python language such as data types, control structures, functions, and objects are introduced. This is an interactive experience using tutorial examples run by participants on their laptops.
- Introduction and Motivation
- Python Installation and Understanding Packages
- Core packages for analysis: IPython, NumPy, and SciPy
- CONTEST: Make a fun bouncing balls demo
- Plotting and Images
- Reading and Writing files
- Fitting and Modeling 1-D and 2-D Data
- Online Astronomy and the virtual observatory